Birth Story: Krista from Krista Nile

Happy Friday! I am so THRILLED with all the submissions for my birth story series! Keep them coming!!! If you would like to submit a birth story, please email me at [email protected]
To view all the previous published birth stories, please click here.
Today’s post is from Krista, who blogs over at Krista Mae Nile! Don’t forget to also give her some love on her social media accounts!
Grey’s Birth Story:

Wednesday. December 17, 2014: I started off the day by going to my weekly check up at the Doctor.  At my appointment she told me I was still between 1-2 cm dilated but that his head was very low.  She was also shocked that I wasn’t having any contractions.  She said she would see me in another week and I left thinking that’s what was going to happen. After all, I was only 38 weeks and 5 days at that point.  (I found out later that she knew I wouldn’t be making it to my next appointment…and bless her for not telling me that because I would’ve been anxious all day.)  So I got home and continued my day.  Around 3:40 I started feeling cramps in my lower abdomen.  I wasn’t sure if they were contractions or not because they weren’t super painful and there wasn’t any sort of regularity to them at all.  I made a batch of cookies…and ate all of them. Ha! Kane got home and I told him what was going on…and we just weren’t sure if it was the real thing or not.  We made dinner (stuffed peppers) and just kind of went about our night. Around 7:45 I FaceTimed my Mom.  I told her that I thought I was having contractions but at that point I could still talk through them.  We were on the phone for about an hour and a half and during that time the contractions got so much more painful.  It was to the point where I had to put the phone down and just breathe through them.  It was so funny because I remember thinking during a contraction that this was it…I was definitely going into labor.  But then after the contraction I was like nahh this isn’t the real thing.  My mom was convinced however that I was going into labor just based on how painful my contractions were getting.  They still weren’t very consistent though so I was confused because I was told to go in when they were 5 minutes apart, lasting 1 minute each for an hour.  Instead, they were all over the place.  I got off the phone with my mom to try and get some sleep but I soon realized that wasn’t going to be happening.  Around 10:00 I decided to call my doctor.  She said that I should go ahead and go in just to check and see how dilated I was. We got to the hospital and they took me to the observation room in the birth center.  At 11:15 I was 3 cm dilated and the nurse said that if I was 4 cm in an hour that they would admit me.  Sure enough an hour later I was 4 cm!  I was so thankful because the contractions were so intense and I wanted that epidural!  I wasn’t sure what I was going to do if they sent me home.  Even Kane was worried about it…ha!

Thursday.  December 18, 2014:  It was a little after midnight and the nurse had to start my IV before she took us to our room.  For some reason it took her three tries to get my IV in and I threw up the entire time she was trying to do it.  Contractions + getting poked over and over with a needle = vomit.  She finally figured it out though and we were taken to our room.  They had the anesthesiologist come in right away to give me the epidural.  (Side note…I have SO much respect for every woman that gives birth naturally.  You are all my heroes and deserve some sort of prize…because ouch.)  Getting the epidural was the easiest thing ever and didn’t hurt at all.  Before the Doctor left, he said he was going to give me a “generous” dose.  And that he did! I couldn’t even feel my legs…but my pain was gone and that was fantastic!   The nurse had to come in every hour to help me switch the side I was laying on…apparently this helps the baby “labor down” even lower.  It was hilarious every time though because I literally couldn’t feel my legs and had absolutely no control over them!  (Probably the first sign that the epidural was turned up too high…but hey I wasn’t about to complain!)  Around 8 AM the nurse came back in and realized that my water had broken.  Oops! I didn’t even feel it!  She said they were going to let him “labor down” some more and that we would be pushing soon.  (Side note: I threw up two more times but honestly cannot remember exactly when that happened…) At this point I was so ready to get the show on the road.  I wanted to meet my baby boy so badly!  She came back around 9:30 and we started pushing.  I pushed for about 10 minutes and then our doctor showed up.  The whole pushing part of giving birth was so different than what I was expecting.  It was just the 4 of us in the room (doctor, nurse, me, Kane) and everything was super calm.  We would wait for a contraction and then push for 10 seconds three times.  No one was screaming and the vibe was just really relaxed.  In between pushes we were honestly having conversations like we were all out to lunch or something…not in the middle of giving birth!  I think that is just what I needed though because it kept me super calm the whole time.  I ended up pushing for 30 minutes and there he was!! I really cannot explain that feeling when you see and hear your child for the first time but it was incredible.  The nurse asked me if I wanted to hold him right away and of course I did!  How could you not?!

And that right there was the best moment of my entire life.

I couldn’t believe how quickly everything had gone.  Kane was so great the entire time and I felt so lucky to have him there with me. I feel like I am not doing this labor and delivery story justice but it just all went so fast and so perfectly that there isn’t much else to say!  I am just so thankful that we have a happy and healthy little boy!  We are both so in love with him and could just cuddle him all day long.  He is literally perfect.

About Krista:
My name is Krista and I live in Texas with my husband and our son, Grey.  I absolutely love to write and document our lives on my blog.  I also love sharing any tips and tricks that I find to make life as a Mom a little bit easier!  I love the community of Moms that I have found online and am so grateful to have their support.
Follow Krista on Social Media:


  1. Amanda says:

    What a sweet story! I was the same way when my contractions started. I didn’t believe it was the real thing because I had just been checked that week and I was 0 dilated. The doctor told me I’d be pregnant for 2 more weeks! Ha!

Leave a Reply