A Day in the Life

It’s been a while since I’ve done a day in the life post, and I thought I would throw one together again!

It’s so fun for me to look back on these posts and see how my life has changed or stayed the same.

In this current season, I have two very little ones (2.5 years and 4 months), and Theo JUST started a new job with a totally new schedule that we are adjusting to. I’m exclusively pumping and then bottle feeding Kiah, and that takes SO MUCH of my day. Literally, I feel like that is my entire day.

Here is a day in my life on Wednesday, February 15th 2017!

The alarm goes off at 6 and my faithful husband is up, showered, eating breakfast and doing devotions by the time I make it downstairs with Kiah around 6:30 (although to be fair, I was up at 2:30 and 5 with Kiah!). Theo leaves around 7 and then it’s just me and the kids for the day!

I grab my breakfast, feed Kiah and do my devotions.

Tera comes down the stairs at 7:30, and she’s a little bit sick today with a cold. Poor thing.

I have been working really hard to put away the phone and computer while my kids are awake, but I also struggle to get enough done in the morning before Tera wakes up. So if Tera comes downstairs before 8, I usually sit her down with some books and work on my blog.

At 8, I shut everything off and we get started with our day! First up: pumping. I usually end up reading while I pump. Sometimes it’s my Bible, sometimes it’s my book and sometimes it’s books for Tera. No matter what I do while I pump, both kids are usually pretty much on top of me.

Breakfast for Tera is up next! She plays with her stuffed animals while I get her food ready. I know it looks like they are just nicely sitting while I do things, but I assure you that I have to stop at least every minute or so to help one of them with something.

Breakfast and devotions for Tera! I read to her from a short kids devotional with a corresponding Bible verse. We also talk about the date and the weather. I don’t think she really gets it, but I just keep doing it every day and one day it will click!

Next up…feed Kiah! I’ve now been awake for about 3 hours and the ONLY thing I’ve done is feed children and blog a little.

I set Tera up with an activity so I can get some chores done because we have guests coming into town the following day. Usually Tera will do an activity at the table for 30-45 minutes, but today this lasted approximately 3 minutes. Meanwhile, Kiah conks out for his first nap of the day.

Chores, chores, chores! Laundry, changing sheets, cleaning the bathrooms, etc. What used to take me 5 minutes without children now takes me a looootttttt longer.

Today’s main chore is washing, folding and putting away laundry. Tera likes to “help”. Unfortunately, it’s not very helpful for me, but I just need to remind myself of the value of letting her learn how to do chores and help me.

I get about halfway through folding the laundry when Kiah starts crying for another feeding. I realize then that I have to wash his bottles before I feed him, so it’s off to bottle washing.

Feeding Kiah while reading to Tera.

Pumping again. I don’t even know what time it is at this point.

Finally finish folding the laundry, both kids are momentarily fed and content, so I take the opportunity to jump in the shower and actually get dressed. Thankfully, Tera is usually good enough that she just plays and I always take Kiah in the bathroom with me. Usually Tera ends up coming in and unpacking all the drawers, too.

It’s STILL the morning so I decide to tackle the mess of my kids room. I have some serious clothes sorting to do and of course Tera takes out about as much as I can put away!

Kiah was having NONE of it, so I pick him up and give him some undivided attention and snuggles. He got some shots the day before and my usually happy-go-lucky guy is pretty cranky today.

Finally get Kiah to calm down and he falls asleep. I throw together Tera’s lunch and she eats while I wash up more bottles and do some general chores.

Tera goes down for rest time (nap time is long gone) and I get myself some lunch. Kiah needs another bottle but I’m so hungry and I need to feed myself, so I prop up his bottle. I know…I’m a terrible mother. Meanwhile, Tera is upstairs NOT resting and doing all kinds of things she is NOT supposed to be doing, so I go upstairs at LEAST 5 times over the course of an hour to correct her. It was really frustrating.

Every time I go upstairs, this one starts to cry. Everytime I go back downstairs, the other one starts to cry. My lunch is cold and uneaten, and this is usually my blog time but it has been a really big struggle these past few weeks with the nap strikes and fussy babe.

I realize that it’s time for another pump so I get that done while I also catch up on some of my social media engagement groups. Kiah is finally asleep and not screaming YAYYY.

I realize that nap/rest time is not going to happen and I get Tera up. It’s time for Kiah to have ANOTHER bottle so we heat that up and I get started on the dishes.

I need to grab groceries so I load the kids up and head out the door. We are at the store for about an hour and then we are back! I’m so thankful for the warmer weather that requires at least a little less bundling than in the dead of winter!

We get back from the store and it’s about 5. Theo would normally be getting home by 5:30, but on this particular day he had to go straight to a foster care class. He would be home right after bedtime, around 8:30.

It was a little early for dinner, so I filled up the bath and let Tera play for a while.

King Kiah also got a bath while Tera played!

I am exhausted and the house is a disaster, so I put on a movie for Tera (and Kiah apparently). My rule is one movie a week, and I decide today will be the day! I whip up some dinner and just tidy up the house a little bit. Tera and I eat while watching the Veggie Tales movie and then I put her to bed and wait for Theo to get home.

Right after putting Tera down, I pump again and then the evenings are time for me to relax! Kiah always has a fussy time right around when we put Tera to bed. It’s incredibly frustrating because after bedtime is usually our time to finally have adult conversations or relax, but Kiah will cry nonstop from 8-9:30 and then it’s time for us to go to bed. I’m really soaking up all the baby stages this time around, but I will be glad to see this stage go!

Around 8:15, I get a call from Theo that he has a problem…our truck has broken down and he is stuck at a gas station. We randomly got a AAA gold membership offer for 3 months free, and we are SO THANKFUL that they sent a tow truck to tow it. Unfortunately, Theo had to wait for the tow truck for over an hour and didn’t get home until 9:45. Such a long day for both of us!

While I waited for him, I read my book (sneak peak of it above…I’ll have all the details on my Feb book list later this week!) and held Kiah. It was actually fairly relaxing, although I wish Theo had been there to relax with me.

I pump, feed Kiah and head to bed at about 10!


  1. Nancy says:

    This is a fun post, but I feel exhausted with you! I love all the pictures of my babies. And I really love the way your living room gets sun and the great pictures showing the sunshine.

Leave a Reply